Sunday, March 20, 2011

Archived Paintings

  



"On the Breath of Dawn"
30"x24"
Wonder Lake, Denali Park, AK



My dad and I took a long drive to Alaska in 1980 and camped 2 nights in Denali Park.
This was the view I saw upon sticking my head out of the tent in the morning!
There was even a moose down near the water...perfect!
  

" Pencil Box"
13"x16" 

This still life contains the 8th grade diploma of my grandfather...
eight grade was typically as much education as they got in those days.
The pencil box and slate were my great uncle's, and the schoolbell belonged to my grandmother.
The photo is of the old Westcliff school which is currently a museum.




The artist with "Chief Joseph" painting, 5'x7'

In 1890, Joseph was Chief of the Nez Perce, the "people of the horse."
The Nez Perce had a trail to Mexico and the ocean, which could be traversed in 2 days.
They used it to trade furs and shells.
Chief Joseph's earrings are made of abalone and black pearls.
Each necklace is made of puka shells or deer bone and has a "pony bead" in the center.
How many beads were worn denoted how powerful the chief was.
The top strand of beads is metallic; on each side is a strand of coral.
Chief Joseph's braids are wrapped in otter fur and tied with rolled ermine strips.
 Only the chiefs could wear ermine.
Long strands of twirled white-tanned buckskin hang on the sides.
The white shirt of the period didn't have a collar; the collar could be buttoned on if desired.
A Hudson Bay blanket drapes over his shoulder.



"Chief Joseph" installed





1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeanene, my name is Tabor Martinsen. I love your "Cheif Joseph" portrait and had a question about it. I am not sure if this is the appropriate way to reach out to you (I would prefer email) but I am a college student who is going do a painting and sell it to my school so that the I can donate the proceedings to a local non-profit that gives children access to basic education. I love your creative "Chief Joseph" portrait and am curious if you would be okay with me using it as my primary reference while I paint my own version of Chief Joseph? I don't want to run into any copyright issues so I thought I would ask you about it. Once again, great work and I hope to hear from you soon. my email is tabor.martinsen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete